Wednesday 21 September 2011

Corn-on-the-Cob Cupcakes


These are a fun & sweet tooth satisfying activity to do with the kids on a quiet afternoon.  I saw the idea in the cookbook 'Hello, Cupcake!' and just had to try it.  All you need is some Jelly-belly type beans in two different shades of yellow, cupcakes, white icing, and some yellow starburst candies.


The jellybeans look much more authentic if you align them in rows perpendicular to the direction of the cob (as you can see in the picture) - trust me - I tried it both ways!  The starburst can be flattened to look like a dab of butter with something so simple as a rolling pin.


I also used clear sugar sprinkles for 'salt', and wished I had some black ones on hand to add that 'pepper' effect.


The only other thing that would have made these cuter are those little plastic cobs you stick on the end to hold hot corns.  But I couldn't find any.  Certainly would have gone better than the wooden shish-kabob skewers.


Definitely a festive autumn treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment